Local businesses work with local contractors to become more energy-efficient, with help from Chelan PUD. What’s not to like?Chelan PUD’s new EnergySmart Business program aims to help business owners reduce energy costs and improve the efficiency of shops and buildings. It relies on local contractors to provide guidance and equipment, and on PUD funding to cover a significant part of the investment.Scott Stanford, PUD commercial energy adviser, says most businesses can lower their energy bills by up to 30 percent with a few no- or low-cost upgrades. But business owners sometimes don’t know where to start. The EnergySmart Business program points the way with:
- A free review of facilities to identify energy-saving opportunities
- Recommendations on energy efficiency retrofits or upgrades
- Estimates on possible yearly savings, project costs and payback periods
- Installation of equipment that saves energy and reduces maintenance
- Incentives that cover up to 75 percent of the cost of energy-efficient equipment and retrofits
Several local businesses have already taken advantage of PUD funding. One example: a downtown Wenatchee retailer paid only $4,200 for $17,000 worth of new lighting, thanks to PUD incentives.Projects range from lighting and window retrofits to installation of energy-efficient equipment such as ductless heat pumps, smart thermostats, power strips and HVAC controls.How to participate in EnergySmart Business? Business owners can get more information by calling (855) 496-3857 or emailing email@example.com. (CLEAResult, a national company with expertise in business energy efficiency programs, is helping administer EnergySmart Business for Chelan PUD.) Contractors interested in providing services to local businesses can get information through those same channels.